Cheesy Bacon Waffle Sandwich
* 6 tbsp unsalted butter
* 3 medium white onions, sliced thinly
* 6 tsp sugar
* 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
* salt and pepper (to taste)
* 6 strips bacon, cooked until brown and crisp
* 6 tbsp barbecue sauce
* 3 slices smoked cheddar cheese
* 1 cup milk
* 1 tbsp vinegar
* 2 large eggs
* ½ tsp vanilla extract
* 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
* 1 cup all purpose flour
* 3 tbsp sugar
* ½ tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp baking powder
* ¼ tsp salt
1) Melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onions until slightly browned. Sprinkle sugar; stir. Add balsamic vinegar; cook until brown. Season to taste. Remove from heat. Set aside.
2) Make the waffles: combine milk and vinegar in a bowl; leave, undisturbed, for 3 minutes. Add eggs, vanilla and butter; mix well. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda , baking powder and salt in another bowl. Mix well and make a well in the center. Pour wet ingredients into the well. Stir slowly and mix just until combined. (Note: Mixture should be lumpy. Mixing until smooth will make a tough waffle.)
3) Pour ¾ cup batter onto the center and edges of a pre-heated waffle maker. Follow manufacturer’s instructions and cook until golden.
4) Top lower half of waffle with caramelized onions and bacon. Drizzle with barbecue sauce and top with cheese. Fold top half of waffle over toppings then cover slightly with the waffle maker to heat through.