Beer Braised Beef
*1 kilo boneless beef shin, sliced into 3-inch pieces
* salt and pepper (to season)
* 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
* 2 cups white onions, diced
* 1 cup carrots, diced into 1 ½-inch cubes
* 1 cup celery, diced (sliced into 1-inch cubes)
* 4 cups beef stock, divided
* 2 cups beer, San Miguel pale pilsen or cerveza negra
* ¼ cup all purpose flour
* 1/3 cup water
* sweet potato mash , to serve (optional)
1) Pre-heat oven to 350˚F.
2) Season beef with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed casserole over high heat. When almost smoking, add meat; sear until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer beef to a plate; set aside.
3) Heat remaining olive oil in the same pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook for 5 minutes or until tender and fragrant. Add 1 cup beef stock; simmer for 2 minutes, scraping the bottom to loosen the brown bits. Add remaining stock and beer.
4) Add beef back to the pan. (Note: Make sure beef is fully submerged.) Cover with a lid or foil. Place pot in the pre-heated oven; cook for 2 ½ to 3 hours or until fork tender.
5) Combine flour and water in a small bowl; stir well to form a smooth paste. Transfer pot to the stove over medium heat. Gradually add flour mixture into pot; simmer gently until sauce is slightly thickened. Season to taste. Set aside 2 to 3 cups beef and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator. Serve with sweet potato mash, if desired.