Strawberry Espresso Trifle
* 1 cup all purpose cream
* 1 8-oz. bar cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1 ½ cups (8-ounces) confectioner’s sugar
* 2 shots espresso or ¼ cup strong brewed coffee
* 2 shots espresso or ½ cup strong brewed coffee
* 2 shots coffee-flavored liqueur, optional
* 4 slices store-bought butter cake, sliced into ½-inch thick slices
* strawberry puree
* 1/3 cup pistachios, chopped and toasted, plus extra for garnish
* fresh strawberries, for garnish
1) Make the coffee cream: in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip cream until stiff peaks form; chill. Using the paddle attachment, whip cream cheese on medium speed until soft and airy, about 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low; add confectioner’s sugar and coffee. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed. Fold in whipped cream. Set aside in the refrigerator.
2) Mix together espresso or coffee and liqueur, if using, in a bowl.
3) To assemble, dip a butter cake slice in the coffee-liqueur mixture and place in a dessert cup. Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons strawberry puree and 3 tablespoons coffee cream on top. Add 2 teaspoons pistachios. Repeat to make another layer. Garnish with pistachios and strawberries. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Tip: To make the strawberry puree, combine 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ¼ cup water and 3 tablespoons sugar in a sauce over medium heat. Cook until strawberries are soft, then mash with a wooden spoon.